The Geochemist's Workbench® 10.0 Student Edition
The Geochemist's Workbench has from its introduction in 1991 set the standard in geochemical modeling.
More than 3000 copies have been licensed and installed in 64 countries around the world.
With its crisp user interface, fully integrated graphics, highly optimized algorithms, and advanced software architecture,
the GWB makes quick work of geochemistry tasks small and large.
With just a few clicks, GWB Student balances reactions, figures equilibrium constants,
and produces Eh-pH (Pourbaix) and activity diagrams.
The package features a spreadsheet designed to hold and manipulate your geochemical data.
GWB Student is available at no charge to undergraduate and graduate students who are currently registered as full-time students
at an accredited university offering degrees in geoscience.
Download GWB Student from our student application page.
You'll be up and running as soon as we verify your academic credentials.
Your license will last for a year, after which you'll need to reapply so we can re-verify your credentials.
GWB Student runs under Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1.
You can also run the software on a Mac using virtualization software such as
The abilities of GWB Student are summarized below.
Paid versions offering advanced features such as reaction path simulation and reactive transport modeling are
available as academic upgrades.
Spreadsheet for geochemists
Program GSS is the geochemist's spreadsheet, designed to hold and manipulate your chemical analyses. Paste in your data and you can:
- Convert chemical units.
- Compute mineral saturation, gas fugacity.
- Check for charge balance and figure TDS.
- Figure aqueous species distribution, redox state.
- Compare replicates and check standards.
- Produce time series, cross plots, and ternary plots.
- Make Piper, Stiff, Durov, ion balance diagrams.
And much more. Still keeping your analyses in Excel?
Eh-pH and activity diagrams
Programs Act2 and Tact produce diagrams showing areas of predominance for aqueous species, and stability ranges of minerals and gases. Set as axis variables:
- Eh and pH, including Pourbaix diagrams.
- Aqueous species activity.
- Gas fugacity.
You can also make:
- Solubility diagrams.
- Mosaic diagrams.
- Temperature-activity diagrams.
Distribution of species
SpecE8 calculates the distribution of mass among aqueous species. Use the program to:
- Figure concentrations, activities, activity coefficients.
- Calculate mineral saturation states, gas fugacities.
- Plot Piper, Stiff, Schoeller, ion balance diagrams.
- Apply the "Pitzer equations" for activity coefficients.
- Model sorption, ion exchange, surface complexation.
Program Rxn balances chemical reactions. You can:
- Balance reactions among aqueous species, minerals, and gases.
- Calculate equilibrium constants—log Ks.
- Figure equilibrium equations.
- Determine equilibrium temperatures.
Thermo data editor
TEdit is a graphical editor for creating and modifying thermodynamic and surface reaction datasets. You can:
- View and edit data tables, elements, species, reactions, log Ks, and virial coefficients.
- Add, delete, sort, or copy and paste entries.
- Rebalance reactions and recalculate log Ks.
- Exchange the location of basis, redox, and aqueous species.
Need more power?
You can upgrade your Student license to GWB Standard or GWB Professional at an academic discount.
Please visit our main GWB website for more information.